Sunday, January 10, 2010

from friday

So today, my mom’s dog died. She was 6 yrs old. A sweet boxer. She was always so happy and friendly. She always wanted to cuddle and be played with. The poor baby had cancer and we didn’t even know until it was too late.

You see, when Mya was a puppy, we found out that she had hip dysplasia. The vet said that she probably wouldn’t grow up to be able to run and play, that she’d probably need a hip replacement. Well, my mom gave her glucosamine everyday and started her on adult dog food to stunt her growth. Mya grew up to run like crazy and play all the time. She would be in pain if she ran too hard or too long, but nothing a pain reliever couldn’t help.

Well on Dec 29th, she started urinating blood, so my mom took her to vet. The vet said that it could either be a bladder infection [easily healed with antibiotics] or cancer. So the next day, the did a CT scan of Mya’s body. A few shocking things were revealed on the scan: that her spine was completely fused, and that there was a large mass in her kidney.

The vet said that she was shocked that Mya could even climb stairs and stuff with the way her spine was fused. Mya never exhibited any symptoms of chronic pain. So they siad that regardless Mya would need surgery to remove her kidney, but they still didn’t know if it was cancer.

So the results of the CT are sent off to a lab and then we waited for a few days until they could be analyzed. The result: Cancer,but it’s probably operable.

So today, Mya went into surgery. The vet said that when they opened her up, that the cancer was everywhere. It was even on her aorta. The poor baby didn’t survive the surgery, she was just too weak and there was nothing that the vets could do to save her.

It’s a very sad day in my mom’s house. Mya was very very loved by the entire family. My mom is completely depressed and I don’t blame her. I’m very sad too, Mya was the first dog that I had ever really formed a bond with. She really did have a personality, and I’m glad she’s not in pain anymore.

I had to be the one who called my grandmom and told my brother about Mya’s passing. I’ve never had to do that before. We all miss her very much.

I feel the worst for my mom. Mya really was her baby.


best dog EVAR!

No comments: